April 27, 2010

News: World Instant Noodles Summit Encourages Less Salty Ramen

The World Instant Noodles Summit took place last week and one of the main themes of the conference was "less salt to lure health-conscious customers".

Koki Ando, the son of the inventor of instant ramen and the current president of Nissin Food Products Co. Ltd., seems to think that it'll be difficult.

From the article:

"We have to do it gradually, step by step," said Ando, who claims to eat 500 servings of instant noodles each year. "Our longtime customers enjoy the salt in our noodles, so we cannot simply reduce it just like that."

I think it's a huge challenge. A lot of the flavor and savoriness is enhanced by the salt in instant noodles. Just look at my reviews for Shin Ramyun and Annie Chun's, which contain a whopping 1200 mg difference in sodium content. In my humble opinion, you're sacrificing a lot of taste when you bring down the salt.

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the first step towards a more healthy instant ramen, but I'd sort of like it to taste good too, no?

1 comments:

BigMouseWorld said...

Thanks ffor writing this